When you next come back to the site, just log back in to carry on where you left off.
Don't have a log in?
Location not recognised
Please enter a location
Choose a valid date
You can refine your results by regions, national parks or town/city.
Location not recognised.
Learn to navigate and map read in Snowdonia . This 2 day navigation course will go over hill walking and compass skills and how to navigate in the wilderness. The course will help you understand key symbols and how to interpret them, how to plan and follow a route and re-orientating yourself if you do get lost. A brilliant course for beginners who want to learn as much as possible in 2 days.
Having good navigation is one of the key skills for all walkers and mountaineers and this course will give you a solid set of foundation skills to help you reach Britain's highest peaks. What ever your level of navigation I will help you improve. We’ll start with the basics, and you will have plenty of opportunity to become familiar with your map and compass at your pace ensuring you learn in a practical way. This navigation course will train you to either the Bronze or Silver standard for the National Navigation Award Scheme (NNAS). The optional assessment will take place on the 2nd day
Over 2 days we will look at the following
- Weather and route planning
- Introduction to different map scales
- Grid references
- Relating the map to the ground
- Interpreting contours
- Key symbols, i.e. how to find a footpath, fence, stream, etc., and how to interpret them
- Planning and following a route using paths and other key features
- How to plan and follow a route across featureless terrain
- Estimating distances using pacing and timing
- Navigating in poor or limited visibility
- How to use the compass
- Re-orientating yourself if you do get lost
No previous experience is needed apart from being a keen hill walker and a reasonable level of fitness which will allow you to get the most from your course.
We will meet at 0900 in either the Llanberis or Capel Curig area depending on where you are staying
All my course prices are on an instruction basis only and do not include travel or accommodation.
Items to pack for the course
- Waterproof jacket
- Waterproof trousers
- Spare warm layer
- Rucksack 20-30L & liner
- Walking Boots and Socks
- Warm Hat and Gloves or sun hat and sun screen
- Vacuum Flask / water bottle
- Lunch and snacks for the day
- Personal First Aid kit and personal medication
- Compass - recommend a Silva Type 4
- Map - 1:25 000 map of Snowdon - Ordnance Survey Explorer Map sheet OL17
No U18's unless accompanied by an adult for the duration of the course
Stoney Middleton, The Pea...
Elterwater, The Lake Dist...
Fountains Abbey, Ripon, N...
Reeth, Swaledale, Yorkshi...
Malham, Yorkshire Dales
West Burton, Wensleydale,...
Lake District National Pa...
Marsden Moor Estate, Sout...
The Peak District
Kettlewell, Wharfedale, Y...
'GO Activities' and the GO Activities logo are trademarks.
Your Shortlist is empty
Jump to next availability
Available slots for
Click 'Book Now' or 'Buy Voucher' buttons to add activities to your basket.
Since you last saved your basket, some of your items are no longer available.
The following items have been removed from your basket.